VCE Units offered at Neerim District Secondary College:
- Business Management
- Health and Human Development
- History: Global Empires
- Industry and Enterprise
- Legal Studies
- Outdoor and Environmental Studies
- Physical Education
- Product Design and Technology
- Studio Arts
- Systems Engineering
- Visual Communication and Design
Neerim District Secondary College offers students opportunities in addition to our classroom program. These include:
Programs where students combine VCE and/or VCAL units at NDSC with training at a TAFE or Group Training Centre to gain a VCE and a vocational qualification.
Students combine TAFE and work placement with school to complete the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning.
University Subjects (VCE)
Year 12 students are able to extend their normal VCE program with an appropriate University subject as part of the Monash and Melbourne University Enhancement programs.
Early Access to VCE
Year 9 students who have had a GPA consistently over 40, sound English skills, and an excellent attendance are encouraged to consider early access to 1 VCE subject (2 units) in place of 2 electives in Year 10.
It would be usual for students to then study the Unit 3/ 4 sequence of that Early Access unit whilst in Year 11.
This is in addition to Industry and Enterprise, which is studied by ALL Year 10 students.
The advantage of early access to VCE is that students understand how a VCE unit is assessed through SACs and an external exam and it gives them an opportunity to complete a Unit 3/ 4 sequence (Year 12) in Year 11. This may then contribute a percentage towards their Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) at the completion of VCE.
More about VCE VET
VET stands for Vocational Education and Training. You can choose a VCE VET program as part of your VCE. This means you will be undertaking training in a specific vocational area, for example – Agriculture, Building and Construction, Hospitality or Engineering.
This training will contribute towards satisfactory completion of the VCE and it will give you a nationally recognised vocational qualification. A vocational qualification may improve your chances of getting an apprenticeship or traineeship upon leaving school.
More about VCAL
The Victorian Certificate Of Applied Learning (VCAL) is an alternate program that sits alongside the VCE and is suited to students who prefer a more hands on approach to their learning.
A VCAL program consists of four strands
- Literacy and Numeracy Skills – to develop these skills students will undertake Literacy or Numeracy VCAL modules or General Mathematics for Numeracy.
- Industry Specific Skills – to develop skills and knowledge important in industry students must enrol in a VET course of their interest.
- Work-Related Skills – to develop employability skills students will undertake a work placement one day a week as negotiated with the school and an employer.
- Personal Development Skills – to develop skills, knowledge and behaviours that boost confidence self esteem and community participation students will participate in a range of activities, which may include mentors from the community and volunteering.
Neerim District Secondary College offers two levels of VCAL.
- Intermediate Year 11 students
- Senior Year 12 students